Kami suki - Hand made japanese paper workshop
1st round, 09:30 ÷ 13:00
2nd round, 14:30 ÷ 18:00
Via Marsala, 4
20121 Milano (MI)
Kami suki 紙漉きHandmade Japanese paper creation workshop
edited by Mako Ganeko and Asako Hishiki
Washi japanese paperThe workshop is aimed at experimenting with the technique of making Japanese washi paper 和 紙.
The manufacture of Japanese paper has a thousand-year history. The fibers used for its handicraft production derive from three types of plants: kōzo 楮, mitsumata 三 椏, gampi 雁皮, each with different characteristics:
- kōzo 楮 (family of the Moraceae): reaches one meter in height; its harvest takes place in autumn and its fibers, among the longest, reach the length of 1 cm giving the paper a lot of resistance
- mitsumata 三 椏 (Thymelaeaceae family): already known in the Edo period, it was used for prints. Its fibers are thin and short and give rise to glossy paper, softer but less resistant than kōzo
- gampi 雁皮 (Thymelaeaceae family): silky to the touch and very luminous and transparent, its fibers are about 5 mm long; it also has a characteristic noise and a smell that can repel insects. Used for printing and restoration of paper works.
The laboratory1st round from 09:30 AM to 1 PM
Realization of neutral cards with kōzo and mitsumata fibers and of cards embellished with different types of leaves or seeds.
2nd round from 2:30 PM to 6 PM
Making of cards with kōzo and mitsumata fibers and dying of colored papers with natural indigo pigment ai 藍.
During the rounds, we will try to create the paper manually using mainly kōzo 楮 and mitsumata 三 椏.
The workshop was created for the short stay in Italy by Mako Ganeko, an artist who uses paper fibers as the main medium.
Required materials made available by Mako Ganeko
- kōzo and mitsumata fibers
- tororo-aoi glue
- Leaves and seeds for the first round
- Natural indigo pigment for the second round
Asako Hishiki biographyTo learn more about personal and collective exhibitions, please see Asako Hishiki bio
Mako Ganeko biographySee Mako Ganeko biography
- Maximum 7 students per round
- Cost € 70, per person per round
- Possibility to register for both rounds at the discounted price of 130.00 euros per person
- Suitable for all levels, no experience required
- All materials supplied by the artist
- The materials produced remain the property of the student
- For subscriptions please write to email@example.com
Cancellation and non-attendanceIf the cancellation occurs:
- 10 or more days before the course: we will refund 85% of the amount
- 7,8,9 days before: 50% refund
- less than 7 days or non-attendance: no refund